TEFL Equity Advocates & Academy is proud to support ELTtoo movement, which aims to raise awareness and take action against harassment and bullying in ELT.
#ELTtoo: working to build safer work environments for everyone.
#ELTtoo is a movement of educators who want the voices of people that have been harassed, bullied and intimidated to be heard, no matter who they are or where they are.
Our mission is to work with people to raise awareness of these issues and provide support, guidance and appropriate training so that all our work environments are harassment- and bullying-free.
#ELTtoo is a call for real change in ELT for all genders worldwide.
What are we doing?
- Raising awareness of the serious issue of abuse, harassment and bullying
- Sharing personal stories
- Sharing information about sexual misconduct, harassment and bullying: what it is, and actions you can take if you are a victim of abuse
- Actively supporting the idea of a safe, fair and comfortable workplace for all
- Working together with professional bodies and organisations to share and provide clear guidelines and support for ELT professionals
What are we being careful to NOT do?
- If any individuals feel bad about any of their past actions and as a result of this campaign decide to re-evaluate their own code of ethics and change their future actions, that is great news. HOWEVER, we are not here to name and shame. We want to look forward not back, to help build a better future for educators.
No more silence. No more ignoring. No more tolerance of harassment, abuse or discrimination.
An open letter to all ELT professionals
Dear fellow ELTers,
We are writing on the behalf of teachers, academic managers, teacher trainers, materials writers, researchers and other professionals who work in ELT. The recent #metoo campaign brought to light just how prevalent sexual harassment and bullying is in our profession. Many people came forward to tell what had happened and is still happening to them on a daily basis in their places of work and at public events. Your stories have been heard and we thank you for sharing them so openly and bravely.
This is how we will tackle this problem head-on. Raising awareness and providing support through the ELTtoo platform.
We want people to be held accountable for their behaviours and by doing so, make our profession a safe and equitable place for everyone.
Unfortunately, we have allowed harassment to go on too long, making excuses for the perpetrators or thinking that if we ignore it, it may just improve or go away. We want this to change. We want to tell your stories through our voice so that we can make ELT a safer place for all.
Varinder Unlu, and the ever-increasing supporters of this movement from all genders.
About Varinder Unlu
Varinder Unlu has worked in ELT for 26 years in all contexts from private language schools to FE and HE, teaching students of all ages. She has been a DOS/Academic Manager since 2002. She is currently Academic Manager at Glion Institute of Higher Education. She is also a teacher trainer for both Cambridge CELTA and Trinity TESOL, a materials writer and a conference speaker. She is the coordinator of the Inclusive Practices and SENs IATEFL SIG.