You might not realise, but various organisations have already issued statements condemning discrimination based on mother tongue. Below are the ones I’m aware of. If you know any others, please comment below:
- Charter of Fundamental Rights of the EU
- EU Commission Communication on Free Movement of Workers
- California Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (CATESOL) Statement opposing discrimination against Non-Native English Speaking Teachers (NNESTs) and teachers with “non-standard” varieties of English
- TESOL International Statement on Non-Native Speakers of English and hiring practices
- The Association of British Columbia Teachers of English as an Additional Language (BC TEAL) Position Statement Against Discrimination on the Grounds of Nationality, Ethnicity or Linguistic Heritage (2014): click here to read.
- CELT Athens Equal Opportunities Policy
- TESOL Spain Position Statement against discriminatory job ads – visit their website here and watch my interview with the current president here